The nut-free version of this is an excellent option for taking to school or allergy-conscious work places. Cooking should just be quick, fun and satisfying. This recipe needs no MasterChef and different flavoured batches can be made ahead of time and frozen for convenience. This recipe works well when doubled for big batches.
1 cup of dried fruit
1 cup of nuts (substitute for 1/2 cup oats and 1/2 cup seeds such as pepitas for the nut-free version)
1-2 tbs of boiling water to ensure the mixture binds (more or less may be needed, the mix should bind together but not be too sticky)
Approx. 1/2 cup desiccated coconut for rolling the balls
(select one of the below)
- Chocolate-date: Dates, walnuts and add a tablespoon of cocoa to the mix.
- Summer roll: Plump dried apricots and cashews.
- Anzac biccy: Plump dried apricots, oats and almonds add a squeeze of honey.
- Blend fruit in food processor until relatively well chopped up and a little mushy.
- Add the nuts and water and blend until mixture binds – adding in additional water if too dry.
- Roll into balls and then roll balls in coconut.
- Finished! Store in an airtight container in the fridge or if making a big batch, pop them in the freezer and take out as you need.